I hope everyone had a great Cinco de Mayo!
We hosted a small party with some close friends on Saturday night. It was great to have a reason to get everyone together! I absolutely love hosting themed parties! We enjoyed tacos, fajitas, bean dip, queso, and chips and salsa during our little fiesta! Delicious!
If you have been following Rustic Honey for any amount of time now, you know I have a serious sweet tooth! (I’m sure my “sweet tooth” board on Pinterest gets more love than all of the others!) No matter the celebration, you can count on me to bring dessert! And for this occasion… it was no different!
As I was getting ready for the Mexican themed party, the idea came to me… a mouth-watering daydream unfolded before my eyes…
Mini “Fried” Ice Cream Bites
And what a scrumptious dream it was. Creamy, chocolatey, crispy, sweet goodness!
It went a little something like this…
- Vanilla Ice Cream (half-gallon> enough for 30 small scoops)
- 3 c. Frosted Flakes Cereal
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 pkgs. Mini Fillo Shells (30 shells altogether – from the freezer section)
- Hershey’s Chocolate Bar (or any semi-sweet chocolate chips or bar)
- Whipped Cream
- Caramel Topping
FOR THE SHELLS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and place all fillo shells on top.
- Cut the chocolate bar into pieces and place in the bottom of each fillo shell. (I cut each small Hershey’s section into sixths.)
- Place in the oven for 3-5 minutes to crisp up the fillo shells and slightly melt the chocolate.
FOR THE “FRIED” COATING:
- Place the cereal and cinnamon into a large Ziploc bag and crush into small pieces for the coating.
- Spread the crumb mixture onto the lined baking sheet and toast in the oven for 3-4 minutes – will turn more golden.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
FOR THE ICE CREAM:
- Line a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper and scoop 30 small ice cream balls onto the surface. (Working quickly so the ice cream maintains its shape)
- Place the scoops back into the freezer for about 20-30 minutes to harden.
- Now set up the assembly line: ice cream, coating and shells.
- Take each ice cream ball and roll it in the crumb mixture to coat. Then place into the shell – pushing down slightly to ensure it holds.
- Continue with remaining scoops.
- Freeze until ready to serve.
- TO SERVE: Add a drizzle of caramel, whipped cream topping and sprinkles (optional) on top of each mini bite. Note: If serving on a tray, I found it helpful to drizzle caramel to the bottom of the plate before placing the bites on top. It helped hold them in place without tipping over. All the yummy goodness gets a little top-heavy!
- P.S. I added my toppings and placed into the freezer so they were already prepared to serve. The only downside was that the whip cream lost its shape after a period of time. Otherwise, they were still perfect!
Enjoy! (makes 30 mini bites)
The were the perfect ending to our comida!
We ended the evening playing cards… eating more ice cream… and maybe slurping down a few more margaritas!
What a great Cinco de Mayo!
Have a great rest of the week!