Grilling, fish frying, and summer barbecuing seems to be in full swing in our neck of the woods! Our weekends have been spent with family and friends enjoying good food and drinks.
In the summertime, we are often busy working outside, fishing, swimming and sometimes just relaxing in the summer sun. When it comes to summer suppers we need simplicity!
Here is a quick-fix, summer salad sure to please your family and friends. This salad is so easy to throw together with mostly staple ingredients you may have on hand! This is a family favorite handed down from my mom. It is one of those recipes that has been shared by so many friends and family. I thought I should share with you as well!
I made this salad twice this weekend! Saturday I pulled it together in five minutes for a fish fry with friends and again on Sunday for a Father’s Day grill out.
I don’t know if you have ever seen EASY quite like this! BRACE YOURSELF!
Tangy Southwest Salad
- 1 bag chopped lettuce (or 1 small head of iceberg, chopped)
- 1 can diced tomatoes & green chilis, drained
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (Use bean of choice. I have also used black beans)
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. Catalina dressing
- Topping: about 2 c. chili cheese Fritos (or barbecue flavor)
- (Additional: You could also add in other favorite ingredients such as corn, red or green bell peppers, or additional beans)
1. In a large serving bowl, combine and toss salad, tomatoes, beans, and cheese.
2. Add dressing and toss when ready to serve. Top with Fritos.
Makes about 10 servings.
Remember that saying “Easy as 1-2-3”?
Why not push the envelope here with “Simple as 1-2!!!”
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there! I hope you enjoyed your day!
Have a great week everyone!